Why I added Goji Berries. Antioxidants. Fibre. A complete protein (which means it contains all 9 essential amino acids and actually they actually contain 18 amino acids). They act like raisins in baking, only they crush raisins (nutritionally speaking).
Why I added Chia Seeds. More calcium, fibre and protein thank flax seeds (sorry flax). Antioxidants. Omega 3's. Winning.
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup goji berries
2 cups almond flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup of agave syrup or organic raw honey (I used Sweet Pure Honey)
1/4 cup of raw chia or hemp seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray pan with cooking spray (I have a spritzer that I use to spritz olive oil, instead of cooking spray).
- Mix together almond flour, ground cinnamon, and baking soda in a bowl.
- Beat two eggs in a bowl. Mix in water, almond extract, agave syrup (or honey), mashed bananas, and vanilla extract. Add banana mixture to almond flour mixture; mix until no dry areas are visible. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan or muffin tray (makes about 1 dozen medium sized muffins and about 12 slices of banana bread).
- Sprinkle chia seeds on top (you could just mix them in to the mixture)
- Bake in the preheated oven until brown and crisp around the edges, about 30 minutes for muffins and about 40-45 for the bread.
Verdict: Yum. I had one muffin post workout yesterday and today along with my Sunwarrior Raw Protein. Eric had one during a video game intermission.